Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ice, Ice Baby!

Yesterday, I went out with my teammates to ice skate.

All my friends know me for my absolute love for gravity. In other words, I can be pretty clumsy. So I tend to stay faaaar away from such activities.

My first experience with ice skating was around three weeks ago. Sundar, who was an amateur, gave me a few guidelines: Keep your knees bent and never fall backwards. I was determined to at least walk around the rink that evening. So after three tries, I managed to maintain my balance and walk the periphery of the rink.

It was nothing special really. Especially when you were forced to observe kids figure-skate around you. :D

But yesterday was a different story. As I started my usual slipping and sliding, a passive observer gave me a few tips: 'Look straight ahead and make your feet point in a v-shape.' I'm not sure how I got it so quickly but in less than 2 minutes, I was maintaining my balance with no difficulty at all. In less than 5 minutes, I had moved to the center of the rink.

To say in the least, I was ecstatic. Balance was just never my thing. I mastered the first few steps of an art form which I initially thought to be very tricky. And now I have the confidence to do more. :)

1 comment:

Nikhil said...

...in less than 2 minutes, I was maintaining my balance with no difficulty at all. In less than 5 minutes, I had moved to the center of the rink.

I was expecting that to end with "In 10 minutes the tip of my nose was introduced to the top layer of the ice" ;)

Anyway, you can now take up figure skating like those kids you mentioned :)