Sunday, February 10, 2008

63City

The Koreans celebrated their lunar New Year on Feb 7th. So on account of this occasion, all offices were closed from Feb 6th to 8th making it a 5-day weekend. Sounds like fun? Yeah, it would have been had I not gone for work on those days. Sigh.

I came home late on Friday, around 1 am. But I still wanted to celebrate it being the beginning of the weekend (TGIF all the way!). So I talked on the phone till around 2 am and then watched the movie 'Monster'. I guess I slept off at 4:00 am or so while I was trying to fit in 'PS I love you' too.

Next day, I woke up at 10 am. I felt like listening to silly love songs and found John Mayer's 'Your body is a wonderland' on youtube (Click here for link to the song). A part of the lyrics are trash like 'Your skin like porcelain; one pair of candy lips and your bubblegum tongue'... but I love the accoustics and when you come down to it, it does make a person - at least a girl - feel good. :)

Sightseeing plan for the day was 63City. It's a 63-floor building near Yongsan. Tourist attractions are Seaworld, Skydeck, IMAX theater and a variety of restaurants.

My colleagues and I started out around 2pm. After we got off the metro, it took us a while to get to the Tower. But the walk down was wonderful because we took a path which is adjacent to Han river. The river view was beautiful and there were even swans and ducks swimming along the shores. It would have been pleasant for cyclists/joggers/runners or just plain walkers like me. You can click here to see Han River pics.

I've never been to an aquarium before. So Sea World at 63Tower was a good first experience for me. There were sea lions, otters, penguins... Very interesting and good fun.

After that, we went up to Skydeck. That's where tourists can have a glimpse of the city from the 60th floor. Lemme tell ya, the view was AWESOME. The night sky was filled with twinking lights from the city below. Anyway, you can click here for 63City pics.

Just a footnote: the elevators at 63Tower work very, VERY fast. I was amazed looking at the floors whiz by when we were making our way down to the first floor...

Anyway, after leaving the building, we went to a ferry dock which was nearby and took a 60-minute ferry ride. I seriously have no idea how time flew by! The river side view from the ferry was beautiful as we went underneath bridges, one after the other. The ferry ride was comfortable with indoor seating as well as outdoor. And this is my favorite - the ferry even had its own juice/drink/snack bar :D

I loved the ride. It made me feel so vibrant and alive. And happy to spend my time in South Korea. :)

After reaching the dock, it took us a while to get to the nearest metro station (or was it really the nearest?). It was kinda funny trying to figure out how to get back. Eventually, we decided to change 3 trains to get to Suwon. Reached Park-22 around 11am. I had my dinner, watched reruns and then went to sleep at 1am. :)

1 comment:

Poornima said...

Oye, long time no chat, no pings :)
Yes, the view of Seoul from 63 building, at night, is amazing. I got some wonderful pics of the city from there. One is reminded of sparkling, gold jewels :)