Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why I hate shopping and other solved mysteries

Many people think that girls, by default, love shopping.

I beg to differ. I absolutely detest it. In fact, I prefer grocery-shopping.

Really.

So when I am asked by my friends to go shopping, I inwardly sigh and groan. Because that usually means a one-day trip to countless number of stores where the person concerned chooses a dress, scrutinizes it, decides that she doesn't like really those buttons and then dumps the dress back on the rack. If it's REALLY my lucky day, she'll be tempted to try it on and then we'll go through an inch-by-inch analysis of how the whole outfit fits her. And then she'll decide that she doesn't like those buttons anyway and then dumps the dress back on the rack.

Let's take the case of my sister, Bes, who visited Suwon the past weekend.

She takes fancy to a pair of very pretty lavender shoes at HomePlus. 'Buy it or if you're that unsure, we'll go visit another mall', I say. She decides to pass and move on. So enter Kim's Club. We discover nada there after 1 hour of browsing. It's late so we call it a day. The next day, we go to a Seoul station shoe vendor. Bes likes a pair of black shoes there. 'But do I really want it? Will it go with all my clothes?' she asks. 'Who cares? Just buy it! Its just $10!' I say. 'I don't want to buy something just for the sake of it!' she says after she gives those shoes a longing look as we head out to Namdaemun market. Eventually we find out that the big place doesn't give any room for my sis to satisfy her feet. So we backtrack to Seoul station. 'You just have to buy those shoes, you know' I tell Bes. After some 10 minutes of staring at those particular black shoes and trying them on, she says no. 'I prefer the ones from HomePlus'. On our way back, we drop into another shore store at Suwon station ('Just in case I like something'). Surprise surprise. Zilch there.

So once again, we go back to where we started: HomePlus. She picks out two dresses and two pairs of matching shoes (one of which is the same lavender pair she had her eyes on since the previous evening). 'Which one pair should I buy?' she asks. 'Make life easier and get both!' I say, frankly, a lil sick of looking at shoes all day.

'Of course not!' she retorts 'I have value for money!'

But apparently not for time. Phooey.

While my sister wrings her hands in despair to make up her mind, I set up camp at the shoe section.

Gonna be one long night.

But she makes a decision in less than 20 minutes.

Really.

She decides to buy one dress and both pairs of shoes (not lavender, but the same shoes in grey).

So. Do you see what I mean?

Ok, I'm not saying that I'm the perfect angel. In fact, I need moral support when I do decide to go shopping (which is only once in 3 months or something - thank God). That's because whatever I like never comes in my size or price range. I mean, c'mon, just because I'm a big person doesn't mean that I don't have taste in clothes and neither do I rather prefer to look like a clown. On the appointed day, I rally up some of my good friends (Or those whose are bored stiff doing nothing on the weekend) and I depend on them to help me through those nightmares. When I get depressed, friends give me cocoa and a pep-talk to lift my spirits up. Then they prod me into trying out stuff so that I'll eventually get through the day with at least one piece in hand.

Usually I'm satisfied with my new outfit till around 3 months later, my sis complains that my clothes are getting old.

'Oh no!' I think, 'It's time for another cocoa-guzzling session!!'

:)

[PS Girlfriends/Sisters, I still love our shopping trips! :) ]
[PPS Genius, this post mentions no 'other solved mysteries' :P]

8 comments:

Macadamia The Nut said...

Know what? I love shopping for myself :D But you wont catch me shopping with others when I have nothing to do myself. ew! The hours and hours of waiting outside the dressing rooms... nuh uh!!

Mocha said...

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. If my friend and I DO go shopping together, she'd hunting for someone's opinion ('Umm hello, anybody there? Does this shade of blue make me look fat?') whilst I'd be sobbing in the corner ('Why won't it fit meeeeeee?').
So we take turns. :D

Poornima said...

Heehee. Good one. Usually I see husbands' in your position, waiting outside dressing rooms, while their wives try out stuff. Before marriage, shopping used to be a major passtime for me, but after marriage I hardly get the chance. My husband very smartly avoids it by citing traffic in B'lore as the reason :D

himabindu said...

no 'comment's :P

Mocha said...

Poornima, your husband is one smart cookie. I'm gonna try out that excuse on my friends! :D
And it's only when you mentioned it that I realise: I do sound like a typical bored husband. Uh-oh!! :)

Kartik Krishnamoorthy said...

hahahaa! one tip that might just solve your problem... even if there is a bus route to the place, start walking! That makes sure that the person will never ask you out for shopping EVER!

Problem: the person will never ask you for company in anything! :)
Ready to take that chance?! ;)

Great blog :)

Mocha said...

Thanks Karthik! :D
Btw, this weekend was my turn. I whined and cried while DJ & JJ stayed put to console me!!

Mocha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.