Friday, December 21, 2007

Politics

I feel sad whenever I hear of politics at one's work place.

Who doesn't but I still feel awful...

I was brought up learning to exist peacefully with Indians (and obviously others). Not live with Keralites, Tamilians, Gujuratis or Sindhis.

I feel awful when people discriminate on the basis of state and mother tongue (to say in the least). I mean, hey, its a free world and you should do what you want to, but you can't get your things done at the expense of someone else.

I often hear of people who are left out at a tele-conference because the rest of the people present converse in their common native language. This leaves the unlucky one unable to understand what's going on. The others could be discussing important topics which really affects the non-speaker like his reports, performance or issues.

I often wonder what gives such thoughtless people the right to act with such unprofessional behavior? Are they trying to launch a common language speakers club? If so, form it outside! Don't bring it into one's professional life.

That's just one painful way I've heard on how a person toys with another one's job.

Some people are so proud of their heritage and tradition. It's as if they have taken the trouble to bring it up themselves. Don't they understand that the only differences between another person and themselves are their births? Why can't people just think outside themselves for once and try to see the big picture? I feel that such people are very small and that their pride and arrogance are a waste of time, effort and emotion!

It's not as if I don't know discrimination. I've seen a few Arabs discriminating against Indians and other 'colored' people. I love visiting my home town, but I hate the airport that I have to get through to go home... or to be more specific, the passport control. I understand very little arabic, but once i distinctly remember one of the people at the counters calling us animals!!

But back to the topic... I feel very apprehensive these days. You just cannot be too careful these days.

:(

No comments: