Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bikes

Announcer: "Aaannnnddd the Award for Best Bike Passenger 2008 goooooeeesss to -----"

OMG. That's ME!! I head towards the stage to pick up my Award (Strange! It bears an uncanny resemblence to the Oscar...).

My thank-you speech: *Wipe tear off cheek* "This is one of the most amazing moments of my life! To think that I had to work so hard for this...

I had never gotten on a bike before I was 18. So y'all can imagine how clumsy I was the first time I had to clamber on (chuckles from the audience). But y'know, the first time was not so bad. It was the second time that I fell down... TWICE... during traffic (collective gasps). But thankfully, nothing happened to me. After that, I never sat one-sided again... nor wore synthetic fiber! *Big smile*

My friend, Vikas, used to give me lifts during college. I liked bike rides (and still do), but I think it was best when I admired them from a distance and not from the passenger seat!! (Laughter from the audience) Vikas would always say 'Whatever it is, stop it right now coz you ain't helping my balance...!!' Later I came to know that he wasn't comfortable with ANY one as a passenger. :)

It was only when I worked for a few months in Cochin that my room mate Roopster gave me a few two-wheeler pointers. She drove a Deo and boy, did we have happy times. :) But I was still clumsy. I never felt that comfortable. I was still scared since I had fallen off a bike before. Even when I relocated to Bangalore, Matt had to give me tips all the time. I used to feel so proud of myself when he said that I was doing great. :D

A few months ago, San offered me a lift from Airport Road to JP Nagar. There was hardly any traffic that night and San kept going faster and faster. I love speed and so I wasn't really complaining.

'Are you still in the back seat???' he asked me while he was driving.

'Of course I am!! Trust me, you'd know if I fell off!!' I retorted back.

'No, its not that... Usually girls get a lil uncomfortable when I go this fast... And you really are taking it well!!' he replied.

It was then I took notice of my body language and-wow!- I was no longer sitting stiffly! I was shifting my weight and balancing myself according to the movement of the bike. I realised I had graduated to Qualified Bike Back-Rider.

Everyone, I have arrived... (cheers)

It's been one looonngg journey... Ha! Pun intended (laughter from the audience). And I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to those who helped me reach this far! Vikas, Roopster, Matt & San... You guys are the best!! And fans... I love you too!"

(Standing ovation from the audience).

:)

No comments: