Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Culture

Yet ANOTHER DISCLAIMER: Following blog entry is based on my observations of Korean Samsung employees and other Koreans I see regularly. This is not to categorize anybody!

I like learning about different cultures around the world... I'm sure that many of you are interested too. So here are a few different practises followed in South Korea. I only have so many, but will come back and add whenever I can think of more:

1. A lot of the employees here are concerned about their personal hygiene. After every (and I mean EVERY) meal, they take the pain to brush their teeth. They even have special toothbrushes and toothpaste stored at their desks! That's a really great habit, by the way, which I am too lazy to follow. :)

2. Even if Korean women DO wear killer shoes, they are still concerned about comfort. Some men and women here take off their shoes while they are at work and walk around in fluffy, comfortable slippers instead.

3. It seems to me that Korean women go outside with only their husbands/boyfriends/male members of their families. I don't think they go out with friends who are guys. This would certainly explain why Koreans are confused when they do see mixed friends (of other ethnicity) out together.

4. The Korean dream is to buy a house (Korean real estate is supposedly very expensive)!!

5. This, my colleague told me: Koreans settle late in life. They get married around the age of 35 (after courtship of a few years) and work very hard till the age of 45. After that, they retire and lay back... Try to compare that with the Indian practise of 'get married by age of 25, have at least 3 kids by 30, have grand children by the time you turn 50 and work till the you retire at 60, then wait for your kids to follow the same cycle...' :)

6. Sid just let me know that many Koreans have stuffed toys at their desk. Reason: During naptime, which is after meals, they snuggle up with their toys and fall asleep. Even the guys do it! I have yet to see this but the I think that the idea is so cute!

7. Almost everything is automated here: lights at the Guest House, the metro... Even the restroom facilities! The seats are heated; there are buttons on each seat for different functions. The only catch is that you need to experiment a bit since the instructions are not in English. <- My sis pointed out that you find such restrooms in Japan too.

8. In India, you have these tap handles which you have to push up to get water. But in Korea, you have to push them down! That's almost downright irritating to get used to. :)

9. A few words from Korean English... 'crunky' = 'crunchy'. 'Cheeg picha' = 'cheese pizza'

1 comment:

Dawn said...

We push down on the water fountain here in the states too!