Monday, January 14, 2008

Outing

Finally! I made the time to write about my first weekend in Suwon.

I was quite restless on Friday evening... That's really an understatement. I was dying for 8 pm so that I could head home after work. After having my dinner, I tucked myself with a book into a warm bed and slept late (the ultimate weekend freedom).

I woke up the next day at 10 am. It was the first time in a very long time that I felt relaxed especially since I had to wake up earlier than normal during the previous week so that I could catch the first cab to the office.

It had snowed the previous day, but looking out of my room window on that Saturday morning, the snow had all but melted. The air was chilly and the skies were cloudy.

After having lunch, my colleagues decided that we would go to Suwon Fort. We reached at around 3:30 and started our ascent to one of the entry points. The plan was to walk around all over the 'ancient city' so that we could see the security posts and other structures. The walking was fun (a little exhausting initially) with good company and jokes all around. I even got a chance to ring a giant bell three times. The first toll is to honour your parents, second to wish your loved ones good health and prosperity and the third to make your wish come true. It was funny trying to ring the bell. My team mate, Rag, had to help me and in the end we somehow managed to make it chime thrice.

We visited a Buddhist shrine, posed in front of a modern statue of a famous Ruler and walked till it turned dark. The lights got switched on, and I must say that the fortress was a breath taking sight at night. I thought the entire place looked beautiful and was feeling a lil sad that I didnt have a camera to capture the magnificence of it all... Deepak & San, if you guys were there, you would have had a field day with your SLRs. :)

We visited a nearby Market (Think it's called Naemoon Market) and then returned back to the GH at 8. One of my colleagues and I decided to go to a local steak house.

DJ, you haven't really tasted steaks... Not really. Not until you've tried this particular family restaurant. :D I'm not really a soup fan, but the creamy mushroom soup was great. Had soft bread to accompany that. My main course was a chicken steak which had a slice of pork on top. It had lots of cream (and calories), the meat was succulent and the taste was simply divine.

I was distinctly reminded of the time I had visited Chillies (a good Mexican restaurant) with my sister and BIL back in Dubai. The quesadillas I had then were simply amazing (and very cheesy). Anyways, that's off the point.

After having a good (understatement yet again!) meal, my colleague & I went to a local mart (HomePlus) because he had a few items to buy and then we walked home, but NOT before buying myself an icecream- yep, you guessed it! A chocobar with a layer of chocolate cookies...

Don't worry. I keep eyeing the weighing machine propped up against the main doors of the GH ALL the time, and yes it does frighten me :)

I spent the entire following Sunday in my room. Didn't get out for breakfast or even lunch. What did I do? Sleep and watch MOVIES! It was (as usual) heavenly... Haven't spent so much time on myself for a very long time.

One of the movies I saw was "My Sassy Girl". It's a South Korean movie and it had English subtitles. I really liked it. The heroine reminded me of myself (ha!).

I did try to go out for a walk at 5pm, but it got so chilly outside that I decided that the walk just wasn't worth it. Ate dinner around 8pm and then went back to bed.

That ended my first weekend in Suwon.

:)

3 comments:

Saneef H Ansari said...

hey! bring a copy of 'My Sassy Girl' movie. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Naomi said...

Just to imagine you trying to ring a Huge bell ...makes me giggle!!..:)..enjoy dear!!Hmmm...so you enjoying the food there huh...Good...!!..(do keep an eye on that weighing machine though)
Really glad to hear you enjoyed ur first weekend in Korea!!...:)..do send pics!!